Health benefits when using a treadmill
Treadmills are utilized by fitness enthusiasts as a cost-effective way to stay healthy, even though never forget that there are also other options and even in the same price range, as for example rowing machines under 300$. Gym memberships can be costly so people buy treadmills to work out at home. A treadmill is also a safer way to take a jog when you stay in high crime areas.
So what other benefits can a treadmill give you? Let’s find out all the healthy advantages you’ll experience with your treadmill.
Healthy Heart Benefits
Treadmills are excellent for cardiovascular health. Light running, speed walking or sprinting increases blood circulation which improves the strength of your heart. Improved blood circulation provides more oxygen to your muscles to strengthen them and increase your stamina.
The best treadmill under 300 dollars that can help ensure a healthy heart is the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T1407M treadmill. It’s a manual treadmill unit so it gives you more of a workout challenge to increase your stamina faster.
Any high-intensity workout will raise your heart rate which is excellent for burning off unwanted pounds. Running on a treadmill is one intense workout option, making it ideal to manage your weight.
One of the benefits of running on a treadmill is that it works every muscle in your body. So there’s no need to perform various exercises to target specific muscle groups. Running will shed extra pounds whether you’re carrying weight around the midsection or on your thighs.
Provides Mental Health and Motivation
Dopamine and serotonin are the two main chemicals that provide positive mental health & motivation. The ideal way to increase these two chemicals in your system is by exercising. Intense cardiovascular exercises such as running are ways to fuel dopamine and serotonin levels. These will also help you become more active and you’ll enjoy improve mental health & possibly even mental capacity.
Muscle Toning and Strength
Simply running or speed walking for 20 minutes a day will start to firm up flabby areas around your arms, legs and midsection. Utilizing a treadmill will build even muscle capacity and it will strengthen your core. If you have a strong core it will optimize the strength in your entire body, so a treadmill is a benefit no matter which part of your body you wish to exercise.
Running on a treadmill warms up your muscles which can increase your flexibility. Muscle flexibility will help combat diseases such as arthritis. If you run on a treadmill regularly your muscles will be relaxed and increase your mobility, making it a long-term investment in your health.
Builds Bone Density
Exercising regularly on a treadmill will improve bone density. Running stimulates the minerals that are responsible for strong bones. Higher bone density can combat many ailments such as rickets and marble bone disease.
Features to consider while choosing a treadmill under $300
Now that you know what health benefits treadmills provide, it’s time to assist you with some important aspects to consider when buying an inexpensive unit. In this next section, we’ll be giving you the importance of treadmill type, speed, motor and incline.
If you want to purchase your best treadmill under 300 the following features are the most important to compare.
There are three types of treadmills to select from:
- Motorized treadmill: A motorized unit is a machine powered by electricity and a powerful motor. The benefit of this treadmill is it allows you to adjust the pace of your workout. Many motorized treadmills allow you to adjust the incline of your deck for a more challenging workout. Display screens on motorized treadmills provide extra features such as workout programs and heart rate monitoring. Cheap electric treadmills that won’t break are difficult to come by. Fortunately, there’s the MaxKare, nominated as the best motorized treadmill on our review list. It’s valuable because it has up to 12 workout adjustments and a 1.5HP temperature resistant motor.
- Manual treadmill: These units are not powered by electricity or a motor, as you can see that by Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T1407M. Instead, the deck moves by the user’s own efforts. The treadmill deck will rotate on a belt and rollers only when someone is walking or running on the unit. The advantage of this is that you have complete control over the deck when you run. Manual treadmills still come with an LCD display but it will be battery operated. The LCD display will provide data on burned calories, heart rate monitoring and the distance you’ve run.
- Commercial treadmills: These are the most expensive treadmills on the market and they’re typically found in gyms. They provide a cushioned running area to reduce the impact on joints. Commercial treadmills are equipped with powerful motors, touch screen computers and motorized decks. The difference of a commercial treadmill is the number of hours you can utilize the unit before it breaks. These machines are robust because they can be used for up to 12 hours a day.
You must check the weight capacity of your treadmill before you buy it. This feature gives you an indication of the strength of the frame and the quality of the belt & motor. It simply tells you how much weight the treadmill can accommodate. A maximum user weight of around 230lbs shows that the treadmill is robust and suitable for home use.
Commercial treadmills with a higher weight capacity are typically utilized in gyms or training centers for professional runners.
One aspect to remember is that some retailers may increase the user’s weight capacity to pretend that their treadmills are premium quality. Don’t let yourself get ripped off. Check the following to determine if your treadmill is robust:
- Size and power of the motor
- The weight of the unit
- What materials it’s made from
- The overall quality of its structure
If you are observant and you notice any sign of wear then your budget treadmill may not be ideal. All the treadmills featured on our list are premium quality units that operate as advertised, and such models as ProGear 190 and Fitness Reality TR1000 feature the weight capacity of 230 lbs.
The speed range on a treadmill will vary according to the model and brand of the unit. Less expensive treadmills can provide a minimum of 8mph and a maximum of 10mph. Mid-range to and higher-end treadmills have a speed of 13mph.
But the speed will depend on whether the treadmill is a manual unit or a motorized unit. For manual treadmills, the speed is limited by the user. A motorized treadmill under $300 will provide speeds of up to 10mph. Sometimes motorized units will allow you to adjust the speed of your treadmill so you can run faster.
If you opt for a motorized treadmill, such as the MaxKare treadmill, consider the size of the motor. Horsepower (HP) is used to measure the size of a treadmill motor. Expensive or commercial treadmills will have an integrated motor with 2.5HP or more. These motors are designed for heavy-duty use.
Some treadmills will state two measurements of horsepower: continuous and peak. For example, it will state that the motor has a continuous horsepower of 1.76 and a peak of 3HP. It’s advised that you concentrate on the continuous horsepower of your treadmill which is the lowest unit of the two measurements.
Cheaper treadmills will have a smaller motor that’s measured in watts such as the Murtisol 1100W machine. These units are still powerful but they don’t have a higher weight capacity.
A treadmill incline is the ability to adjust the slope of your deck. Higher inclines work different muscle groups in your legs and it gives you a more challenging workout. Treadmills will either have a manual or powered incline adjustment:
- Power incline: A treadmill such as MaxKare that has a motorized incline can be adjusted with a simple click of a button or by utilizing your display screen. Powered inclines can have up to two to three settings and it won’t change the smoothness of the belt’s movement. You can adjust the incline on powered units while you are running. This is an excellent feature when you want to warm up first before adjusting your incline.
- Manual incline: A treadmill with a manual incline typically comes with two adjustments. Unfortunately, you can’t adjust the incline while you are running. You have to lift the deck and clip it into place before you can start your workout. A unit that has a manual incline is usually more compact and has a smaller tread belt. These treadmills are in a lower price bracket than motorized machines.
Treadmills are large machines so it’s crucial that you check the dimensions of your unit before you buy it. This is especially true if you live in a small apartment that doesn’t have much open floor space. Treadmills under 300 are compact and streamlined devices. They don’t have any unnecessary protruding parts and it won’t rob you of valuable open space in your living room or bedroom. Smaller treadmills still give you the workout you’re looking for but at a fraction of the cost of a larger unit.
If you’re looking for a compact motorized treadmill opt for the Murtisol unit. Or if you want a manual treadmill the best machine on our list is the ProGear 190.
Running surface dimensions
The size of your deck’s surface must be big enough for you to safely run on. If the dimensions of the running surface are smaller it’s ideal for people who have shorter strides. But if you’re a tall person naturally your strides are going to be wider so the deck must be large to accommodate you. If you generally want a wider and longer space to run then a treadmill with a larger deck will be ideal for you. Larger decks are suitable for frequent runners who need to train for marathons or competitions.
The disadvantage of a treadmill with a longer and wider running surface is that these machines will have a bigger frame. It will be more difficult for you to use a large treadmill in a small space.
The weight of the treadmill will give you an indication of how much weight capacity it can handle. If the unit is extremely light then it’s only suitable for smaller people who only utilize the machine for 20 minutes to an hour a day. Lightweight units are usually manual machines without any extra features. They’re more affordable and easy to maintain, as for example ProGear 190.
Heavier treadmills will come equipped with many other features such as motors, larger display screens and bigger flywheels. These units are heavier and more expensive, but able to endure some heavy duty handling. They can accommodate heavier people and those who are frequent runners.
Another aspect to consider when looking at treadmill weight is how easy it is to move and store. Lightweight machines can be picked up easily whereas heavier treadmills will need more manpower to move it.
Does your treadmill fold up? The advantage of treadmills under $300 is that they are often compact units that allow you to fold the frame down for easy storage. A foldable treadmill, the one as Murtisol 1100W treadmill, is ideal for people who don’t have a lot of space to leave the machine standing.
Your foldable treadmill should allow you to easily dismount and reassemble the unit. Some devices have clip mechanisms that let you set it up and dismantle it fast. Make sure these parts are made with durable materials because they can wear over time.
It’s important to purchase a lubricant to preserve the lifespan of your treadmill’s parts.
When you store your unit make sure no sharp objects are near the deck or belt, so they don’t end up being cut. Cover your unit with a sheet to prevent it from getting dirty.
A treadmill’s digital display screen is convenient because it monitors your progress. It will provide you with data such as:
- How many calories you’ve burned
- The speed of which you’re running or walking
- Your heart rate
- How many miles you’ve traveled
- Incline control
These are common on standard display screens. Higher-end display screens give you virtual reality tracks and speed control. You’re able to watch videos and listen to your favorite tracks through a high-end display screen.
Some units come with downloadable apps where you can share your fitness routines and progress with friends & family.
Overall every treadmill should have a display screen so you can properly monitor your workouts. It’s also an excellent way to reach new fitness goals by challenging yourself every day by running more or burning extra calories in a day.
The products we’ve reviewed in our article are treadmills that are priced $300 and less, there are even good-quality treadmills under 200$ on the market today. These are smaller treadmills with all the features and controls you need to run every day. But if you want a larger unit you can expect to pay between $1500 and $3000.
Expensive treadmills with more parts and premium display screens will come with a 5-year warranty. But these are commercial treadmills that are for heavy-duty use. Your home treadmill that has excellent parts and electronics will typically come with a 1-year warranty.