Features to consider while buying the best toilet seat for heavy person
If you’re still not sure about which heavy duty toilet seat to buy, take a close look at these significant features before making your final decision. We’re sure you’ll get the perspective you need by outlining these key aspects as you compare one model to the next.
Consider the various types of material making it the best toilet seat for heavy person. Which one’s the best suited to you?
- ABS plastic: It’s a high impact material that’s also stain and chemically resistant. ABS plastic is one of the most widely used plastics. It’s extremely durable and can withstand heavy weight. It’s an excellent option if you’re looking for a toilet seat that’s easy to clean. Examples of these are the Big John Toilet Seat 2445646-1W and Big John Toilet Seat 2445263-3W.
- Commercial plastic: Commercial plastic is of a high quality. It’s known for its strength, is solid molded and can resist chips, stains plus wear & tear. Consider the BEMIS 1000CPT if you’d like to invest in a commercial plastic toilet seat that’s been made from environmentally friendly materials.
- Plastic: Most plastic toilet seats are made from polypropylene. Co-injected plastic toilet seats can contain up to 50% recycled materials sealed in the product’s core. At the end its life cycle it can be recycled. Some may argue that plastic toilet seats stain more than other materials, but they can be cleaned with the correct detergents. The Bariatric Extra Wide Toilet Seat is a plastic option that’s easy to clean and doesn’t compromise on support.
- Polypropylene: Used in a wide variety of applications, polypropylene is a plastic material type considered the safest of all plastics. It’s BPA free, but it’s not widely recyclable. If you opt for a 100% pure (not recycled) polypropylene toilet seat like the BATH ROYALE BR620-00, you’ll get excellent quality and no breakages.
Width and Shape
Heavy duty toilet seats come in different shapes and designs. Consider your existing toilet bowl and what’d be its best match:
- Elongated: An elongated toilet seat is around two inches longer than a round bowl. It’ll extend more into the front of the bathroom. The result? A larger target area with less drip around the bowl which is more hygienic.
- Round: The round toilet seat is generally the standard kind seen in most homes. The only difference you’ll notice between the elongated and round toilet seats is the bowl shape. This one resembles a circle and extends less into the bathroom.
- Open front: Open front toilet seats are often seen in public restrooms, frequently without lids. They’ve been designed in a horseshoe ‘U-shape’ with a front opening allowing females easier wiping after using the toilet without coming into contact with the actual toilet seat. A more hygienic option, consider the Big John Toilet Seat 2445263-3W for use in hospitals or healthcare facilities.
- Closed front: In a closed oval shape, this toilet seat usually has a lid. A closed front toilet seat is generally the preferred home use toilet seat.
Remember toilet bowls can be measured before you go out and purchase the corresponding seat. Most seats we’ve reviewed are suitable for either elongated or round toilets.
The rounder you are, the wider the toilet seat needs to be. The widest heavy duty toilet seats are the Big John Toilet Seat 2445646-1W and Big John Toilet Seat 2445263-3W, which offer the most comfort.
The main reason you’re buying a heavy duty toilet seat is because you’re a heavy person. An oversized toilet seat is at the top of your list, so ensure it can handle your weight.
The Big John Toilet Seat 2445646-1W and Big John Toilet Seat 2445263-3W can carry the heaviest weight of 1200lb. The Bariatric Extra Wide Toilet Seat and BEMIS 1000CPT both carry up to 1000lb, while a lighter weight option is the BATH ROYALE BR620-00.
Lighter weight persons can also use these products. Although they’ve been designed as toilet seats for fat people, others can also benefit from their comfort, but the elevated seats might be a bit too high off the ground for short legs!
Hinges and Bumpers
Let’s take a closer look at the materials strong toilet seat hinges and bumpers are made of for a better understanding:
- Quantity: More bumpers offer more security. The BATH ROYALE BR620-00 contains four rubber seat bumper to help with even weight distribution.
- Synthetic: Synthetic rubber generally provides better resistance to abrasion and wear & tear than natural rubber. The Big John Toilet Seat 2445646-1W toilet seat uses synthetic stability bumpers to fasten the seat securely the bowl and limit movement.
Before you go toilet seat shopping, know your price limit. Determining your budget will help you know which options to consider.
Low cost budget heavy duty toilet seat selections include the BATH ROYALE BR620-00 and the BEMIS 1000CPT.
If you’re able to afford a pricier obese toilet seat solution, consider the Big John Toilet Seat 2445263-3W. But don’t think pricier always means better—perhaps it has features you don’t need or it’s not the size that will work for you. So look at ALL the specs before buying.
Some manufacturers include additional features to their toilet seats. This may increase the product’s price, but it’s worthwhile noting some extras worth paying for:
- Additional usage: If you’re looking for a toilet seat that can be used not only in the home, consider the Big John Toilet Seat 2445646-1W. It’s also suited to hospitals, health care facilities and public restrooms. The Bariatric Extra Wide Toilet Seat is ideally suited to sufferers of bariatric problems. If a toilet seat is helpful for large and physically impaired persons plus those with limited mobility, it’s an added bonus.
- Color options: Some toilet seats are available in other colors and not just standard white. Should you wish to match your new toilet seat with your existing bathroom décor, opt for the Big John Toilet Seat 2445646-1W available in both biscuit/cream and white. The BATH ROYALE BR620-00 comes in almond, biscuit, bone, linen or white colors.
- Extra rise: A taller or heavier person would benefit from a slightly more elevated toilet seat. Both the Big John Toilet Seat 2445646-1W and Big John Toilet Seat 2445263-3W offer a 2.5” rise.
- Fits all toilets: It’s important to check if the heavy duty toilet seat can fit all, most or only some toilets. The BATH ROYALE BR620-00 fits all toilet brands while the Bariatric Extra Wide Toilet Seat fits standard toilets.
- Made in the USA: If you want to support local, consider purchasing something that’s proudly American. The Big John Toilet Seat 2445263-3W and BEMIS 1000CPT are both USA manufactured.
- Warrantees: There’s more reassurance with a product warranty, in the event something goes wrong. The BATH ROYALE BR620-00 includes a two year warranty while the BEMIS 1000CPT contains a one year warrantee.