Features to consider when choosing a tandem stroller
Before buying the best tandem umbrella stroller that will effectively protect your little one from natural elements, use the checklist below as a shopping reference to ensure the stroller has all the essential features for your needs and budget.
Strollers are available in a number of designs with varied seating arrangements. These include:
- Side-by-side stroller: It is best stroller for twins or kids who are close in age because the front-facing seats are lined up adjacent to each other. This allows the little ones to interact easily and enables the parents to monitor both children conveniently. Most of the models only have seats that only face forwards, and it is a hassle to fit traditional double strollers through doorways and narrow aisles due to their large width. However, modern versions feature slimmer profiles, and side-by-side tandem umbrella strollers have ample storage space underneath and canopies with extensive coverage.
- Tandem stroller: Also known as in-line stroller and considered the best tandem stroller for infant and toddler, this type features one seat at the front and another seat behind. Some models have the rear seat positioned slightly higher in stadium style so the child sitting at the back is not obstructed by the one at the front. They support a number of seat configurations: forward-facing, back-facing, face-to-face, and back-to-back. Parents prefer them for travel because they are collapsible for compact storage and are maneuverable despite their higher capacity since they have similar width to that of single-seat models. Their disadvantage is that they are generally heavier than their side-by-side counterparts, and their long length is ideal for straight paths but hard to navigate around sharp corners.
- Wagon strollers: They incorporate push and pull mechanism and are a suitable alternative for double strollers. However, they are bulky and banned in Disney theme parks to ease congestion.
- Umbrella strollers: If you are flying, consider the best tandem umbrella stroller, which is typically the lightest and most compact type of stroller. This is why they are sometimes used as jogging strollers to keep parents in shape. However, not all models support a car adapter.
- Sit-and-stand stroller: This type is recommended as the best tandem stroller for an infant and toddler because the rear platform gives the older child the option to ride while sitting or standing.
- All-terrain heavy-duty strollers: If you want the best twin tandem stroller that is a beast on any surface you ride on, don’t hesitate to grab this kind of stroller. It is equipped with heavy-duty frame, durable fabric, and large fully suspended wheels for smooth movement on any terrain.
- Convertible stroller: They come in single style but you can extend the seating capacity by attaching additional seats and benches or by replacing a detachable rear seat with stand-on platform.
To sum up stroller categories, side-by-side strollers are more suitable for twins while tandem models favor an infant and older child. In the former, the 2 seats have the same amount of space and the same features and amenities. Comparatively, the rear seat in tandem strollers reclines more and offers more space. One seat may also support a car seat adapter and cup holder while the other does not due to the different needs of each individual child.
Besides flexible seat configuration, consider a detachable and extendable canopy with sunscreen for adequate protection from the sun and wind, a viewing window for visibility, reclining angle, adjustable footrest, and all-wheel suspension for seamless movement. You will also need to check whether there are other colors available.
Ideally, the best tandem stroller for infant and toddler should be able to withstand weight of up to 80 pounds without breaking or tearing. All the models we have reviewed are made from durable frames and fabric that will safely support your 2 kids; they incorporate material such as steel frames and 300D polyester. A stroller with high weight limit is preferable because it can accommodate the growing children’s weight, so you don’t have to replace it for a while.
The ideal dimensions that would provide the best tandem stroller for infant and toddler would be determined by the design of the model; the number and age of kids and whether you plan to have more kids; the terrain you will be using; the amount of space available in your car or house to store the stroller; and the size and number of pockets and other accessories that come with your model. For instance, Chicco Cortina Together Double Stroller has dimensions of 47.3 x 23.5 x 45.5 inches. This allows room for a built-in car seat attachment and for the rear seat to recline fully as well as plenty of space for independent canopies for each seat, a parent tray with 2 cup holders, an arm bar and a large basket underneath. On the other hand, Delta Children Jeep Scout Double Stroller, which has fewer amenities fits easily through standard doors because it has a smaller overall size of 23.4 x 29.9 x 37 inches.
All the models we have reviewed for the best tandem stroller for twins can be folded to reduce their overall size and save space in storage. This function is important for them to fit in car trunks and limited spaces for travel. The ease of folding will depend on the model, but majority of them can be conveniently collapsed with an automatic storage latch or foot lever. You will also find tandem double strollers for infant and toddler with convenient one-handed, free-standing fold.
There are a number of models that we have featured with high weight capacity but light weight for maneuverability, smooth mobility, and convenient transport. A good choice for the best lightweight tandem stroller is Zoe Twin+ Luxe Stroller, which holds up to 90 pounds despite weighing only 19 pounds.
Pockets, compartments, cup holders
Packing to take your little one out on a stroll may feel like you’re packing for a weekend trip because kids may require multiple supplies such as extra clothes, diapers, milk bottles, and their favorite toys. You also need space to keep snacks and refreshments as well as essentials like your keys, phone, and wallet. The best tandem double strollers for infant and toddler come with multiple storage compartments to accommodate the different needs of an infant and their older sibling and that of parents. Usually, they include trays for snacks and cup holders to avoid spillage, a parent organizer with pockets designed for specific items or with unstructured compartments for books and magazines, and a sizeable basket positioned underneath the stroller for larger items.
Car seat adapter
They allow you to attach an infant car seat to a stroller so you can move your babies to and from the car seamlessly without waking them up. It also allows you to use strollers that designed for use by both infants and toddlers. The main thing you should note is that infant car seats often have to be bought separately, and you must confirm the car seats brands that are compatible with your stroller. Some are only compatible with subsidiary products, while a versatile universal car adapt supports most of the major brands.
The terms and duration of a warranty varies from one tandem stroller for twins to another depending on the brand and model. Joovy offers limited warranty of 2 years for the models we have reviewed, which is almost twice as long as warranties provided for affordable strollers.