How does a suction pool cleaner work?
These devices work autonomously and independently. It has a suction side and a pressure side, working with the pool circulation system. This suction and pressure are produced by a pump that is used to feed and operate the cleaner.
In addition, they have a configurable system that allows them to be executed through their own schedule. They are self-sufficient for having a pump, a filter and a self-propelling system that helps their total mobility in the complete environment of the pool.
Features to consider while buying the best suction pool cleaner
Here, we provide you with some important specifications you have to watch out for before adding your prospective pool cleaner into the cart:
The compatibility of a suction pool cleaner has to do with the recommended pool pump capacity. This is usually expressed in gallons per minute or GPM.
Experts recommend that this variable be kept above 70 GPM for truly adequate suction.
Just like the Zodiac MX6, ensure the model of choice has a 2-speed and variable speed pump or a pump with a minimum of 1500 GHP pump.
The length of the hose will determine the maneuverability and operating area of the cleaner. Hence, the hoses have to be at least 18 meters in length. The number of hoses in the set is also a determining factor. This can range from 7-10. It all depends on the usage and needs.
There are suction vacuum cleaners for different uses. While there are types that can double as a wall and floor cleaner, some can only function on one side alone, or as Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-518 can reach even coves. Also, some models aren’t suitable for vinyl in-ground and above-ground pool liners and other similar pool surface materials while some are designed for concrete or other hard floors. Still again, it all depends on your needs.
A warranty offer is a promise of satisfaction. A vacuum cleaner with no warranty offered means there’s nowhere to run to when it breaks down after a couple of uses. For suction cleaners, you’ll find models with a warranty ranging from 6 months to 2 years. The more, the better, as for example by Zodiac Baracuda G3 Kit.
With filter bags or baskets, the automatic cleaner can clean and even help purify, polish and disinfect water. The best cleaners filter up to 2 microns. In addition, most new units have easy-to-clean top access filtration systems, but at the top or bottom, it is more important to research the number of microns.
The dimensions of the pool
Knowing what the specific length and width of the bottom are will give an idea when choosing. There are devices with different powers that facilitate work in the wider pools, or if you have a smaller one, then VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner might be a good solution for you.
The material of the walls
This is an influential factor when choosing the pool cleaner.
If the walls are liner, you will not need a robot to climb them to clean them. But if on the contrary it is made of stoneware, the dirt will remain stuck there, and therefore will need cleaning.
The ladders and the edges of the bottom
In the first case, these devices have certain drawbacks for it. For that reason, it is necessary to check the specs, for example by U.S. Pool Supply Powerful Professional Automatic Pool Vacuum Cleaner. Ensure they are capable of cleaning and turning in small spaces. Finally, it must be taken into account whether the edges at the bottom are square or rounded.
Effective cleaning cycles
Each pool cleaner has a different cleaning cycle, but the ideal is to choose the model that can clean the pool as quickly and efficiently as possible. Some cleaners come with multiple cycles for different levels of cleaning.
A robot pool cleaner can be expensive, so you will want one made with high-quality materials. Eventually, you may need to fix it, but you shouldn’t do it for at least a few seasons.
The size of the pool cleaner can very well determine the amount of energy it uses.
Smaller cleaners use around 200 watts of energy per hour, while larger ones use more than 1,000 watts per hour.
Pressure washing jets
Some models have this option which is ideal for swimming pools with fine sediments, sand or dirt particles. They wash surfaces where standard brushes cannot reach, to help vacuum the finer particles more efficiently.
The key to success at this point is to find a brand you can trust and not settle for a cheap model that doesn’t have the features you need. Innovation and progress in quality are essential. The main brands and manufacturers of pool cleaning robots are:
- Polaris. The American brand offers pool cleaners at a good price and with useful features.
- Hayward. The American producer specializes in high-quality pool equipment, tools, and accessories.
- Smartpool. This company markets swimming pool cleaners that fall into the category of affordable and effective cleaners while being environmentally friendly.
- Maytronics. Owner of the Dolphin brand, which also stands out on the market for its automatic pool cleaners which stand out for their efficiency and power.
- Zodiac. The American company is one of the companies dedicated to the manufacture of swimming pool products. It is distinguished by the quality of its construction materials and its performance.
Suction pool cleaner usage and maintenance tips
Have you just bought the device or you’ve decided on which to buy? It’s necessary you start thinking of how to make it last longer. Here are some tips to keep your new suction pool cleaner for longer:
- Always remove it after each cleaning cycle: The chemicals we use to keep the water clean can damage the appliance if we leave it in longer than it should.
- Ensure that it is cleaned after each use: After using it, it is recommended to clean the appliance, remove the bag where dirt accumulates and clean it, with a pressure hose, leaving it free of dirt. Ensure you also take care of also cleaning the main parts of the electric pool cleaner, such as motors, rollers, wheels, etc.
- Adequate PH and chlorine levels: For the pool cleaning robot to be able to climb up the pool walls, your job will be to maintain good levels of PH and chlorine in the pool. You can use special pool tester kits to measure them. We recommend buying a good salt water chlorinator to help maintain the optimal chlorine level. Also remember that if there are algae, your suction pool cleaner will not be able to climb up the walls when you need it to do so.