Reasons to get a great grill smoker combo
Buying any grill smoker combo grill simply won’t cut it if you expect your meat to be grilled to perfection. By investing in a high quality grill you’ll enjoy the following benefits:
- Most high quality grill smoker combos are made of superior materials that make the unit durable. This means you don’t have to worry about any premature wear and tear like paint chipping off the exterior.
- An awesome grill smoker combo will give you multiple cooking method options. This means most of them are versatile enough to allow you to select your preferred cooking style; be it grilling or braising or another option.
- With a superior smoker grill, you don’t have to be the best cook in town because they are designed to ensure your food is grilled to perfection every time.
- A quality grill smoker combo will regulate the temperature for you so you don’t have to worry about burning food.
- An awesome grill smoker combo will have ample space to place your food. This way you don’t have to spend hours preparing the food because the cooking process doesn’t take as long: do everything at once!
- With most quality grill smoker combos, they have mechanisms in place that allow for easy clean-up. This can include anything from a removable rack grate to an ash pan.
- If you pick the best smoker grill combo, you don’t have to worry about the taste of your food being compromised by the fueling system. Quality grills utilize pure pellets that are free from fillers known to alter flavors.
Features to consider when choosing a smoker grill combo
Smoke grill combos are available in varying price ranges. And more often than not, the higher the price, the more features it has. But we’ll quickly point out that picking the most expensive grill on the market won’t always guarantee you the best results.
There are many cheaper models that offer superior performance. The trick is to know which features to consider and how they affect functionality and durability among other factors. We’ll list some of the most important attributes below.
Total cooking area
The total cooking area is very important as it determines the amount of food you can place on the grill at any given time. The size of the cooking area you prefer will depend on whether you’re looking to cater for a small or large group of people.
If you need one for your occasional family BBQs, then a small grill smoker combo like the Sougem charcoal smoker grill combo will do.
The size will also determine how much fuel you’ll use during the entire cooking process.
Not only is the total cooking area worth considering, but also whether the grill has different cooking sections. Some models like the Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo have two separate sections – one for grilling and the other one for smoking.
Different grill smoker combos have varying temperature ranges.
Before you decide on a grill you must ensure that it reaches the temperatures that are ideal for your preferred cooking method.
Some models like the Camp Chef Woodwind
have a temperature range that goes all the way up to 900° F. Below are a few pointers to remember:
- As a general rule of thumb, the ideal temperature range for smoking is 225°F to 250°F.
- Searing requires high temperatures.
- Slow roasting requires low temperatures.
- For indirect grilling you must preheat your grill to 350°F.
Before you purchase a grill smoker combo, it’s important to note what substance is used to fuel it because each fuel source comes with advantages and disadvantages. From our list of recommended products, you might have noticed that the following are the most common fuel sources:
- Gas: Most people favor gas grills for the convenience they offer. Gas generally heats up quicker plus a gas grill and smoker combo is much easier to clean up. The major downside is that they don’t produce that smoky barbeque flavor, so keep that in mind.
- Charcoal: When it comes to taste, people prefer using charcoal to achieve a smoky flavor.
- Wood: Wood is also known to enhance the flavor of meat.
- Pellets: For those who prefer natural fuel sources, you can consider a grill that’s fueled by pellets. Pellets are free of artificial adhesives that compromise the final flavor of the food cooked.
- Multi fuel Combo: A good idea is to get multi fuel combo like the Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo that uses both gas and charcoal.
Hopper or fuel storage capacity
The hopper or fuel storage capacity is also important when deciding which smoker grill combo to buy. Make sure you determine whether it’s easy to assemble.
Also you need to consider the materials used in its construction. This material will determine a number of factors including how effectively the heat is transferred depending on whether you use gas, charcoal or pellets.
Construction and durability
The construction of the grill is equally important as it largely determines how long the unit will last. To avoid repeat purchases, it’s a good idea to pick a unit that’s made of quality material like the Sougem Charcoal Smoker Grill which features a durable porcelain-enameled surface. As a result, this unit is definitely designed to last.
Are you looking for a small or large grill? Do you have a large backyard? Answering these questions will help you pick the right grill with the correct dimensions suited for your particular available space.
Buying a large smoker grill combo when you have minimal space on your patio or backyard will make for a cramped, impractical setup. Rather measure your available space and pick an ideal size for long term ease of use.
The weight of the grill is also worth considering especially if you plan on moving it around your backyard. A good example of a portable smoker grill combo is the Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker.
If it’s going to be stationed in one place, then you can opt for the heavier models like the Dyna-Glo Signature Series Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker & Grill. Alternatively, you can always purchase a grill with wheels to allow for easier transportation regardless of the weight.
Extras: thermometer, racks and controls
Does the smoker grill combo come with any extras? It’s worth considering if you don’t want to make any additional purchases which can prove to be rather costly, not forgetting inconvenient.
Some manufacturers include thermometers, racks and controls with their models—all of which are designed to make your grilling process much simpler.
A good example is the Sougem Charcoal Smoker Grill, which features a built-in thermometer that’s designed to regulate the grill temperature.
For such a relatively long term investment, it’s important to consider if the grill comes with a warranty. This means you’ll be covered in the event of any malfunctions and can consequently contact the manufacturer in such unfortunate cases instead of spending money on a new grill.
Tips on getting the most out of your smoker grill
We’re going to outline a few handy tips that will help you get the most out of your new investment. Not only will these pointers guarantee optimum performance but also durability:
- Always ensure you prepare your grill before use. In the case of a charcoal grill and smoker combo, you can start by filling the firebox with charcoal and light it.
- Soak wood in water for 30 minutes before adding it to the charcoal, to get the most smoke.
- Preheat the grill to eliminate any contamination.
- Try and check your food every hour to ensure that it’s cooking properly.
- When you’re done with the cooking process, it’s advisable to clean the grill gate whilst it’s still warm—not hot. This makes it much easier to clean.