What are the advantages of owning a large-sized recliner?
- Large recliners can be used by almost all body types and body weights due to their high weight capacity, tall height, and roomy seats.
- They are versatile. Their spaciousness with plenty of room to stretch, heavy padding and multiple adjustable positions, including full reclining, make them great alternative beds.
- They are equipped with tons of cool features like massage and heat therapy which improve blood circulations and relieve pressure points, as well as the lift and tilt functions which allow you to slide off the seat into a standing position gently. This is particularly handy for people who are tall, elderly, or with limited mobility.
- They are more comfortable since they are more padded than regular-sized models and have plenty of cushioning and support.
- They are durable because they are made of sturdy material like hardwood and steel to accommodate the high weight capacity.
Features to consider while choosing the recliner for a tall man
We have already established how difficult it can be for a tall man to find the right recliner which will not cramp his legs or strain his neck, but if you align the following criteria with your needs and individual preferences, you will be able to narrow down to the right model for you.
Each recliner model has a specific weight capacity which is recommended and specified by the manufacturer. This information can be found in the manual or on the manufacturer’s website. For example, MAGIC UNION Power Lift Massage Recliner would not be the best recliner for a tall man weighing 350 pounds because it has a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds. In this case, best choice would be Lane Home Furnishings 4501-19 Torino Rocker Recliner which can accommodate up to 500 pounds.
It is advisable to buy a recliner with a maximum weight capacity that is higher than yours to factor in any weight that you may gain in future.
It goes without saying that tall people need recliners that are bigger than regular ones, but even tall people come in various heights just as the recliners designated for them come in an array of sizes. If the size of the recliner does not match your body’s proportion, it will end up being causing more harm than good. This is why you should pay particular attention to the backrest, footrest and both the height and depth of the seat.
Instead of supporting the head, a short back will leave it hanging above or over the edge of the backrest which can cause neck pain. Ideally, a back that is at least 20 inches high should be your starting point. Lane Home Furnishings Recliner has a tall back of 26 inches which can sufficiently support the head and neck of most tall men.
A seat that is too deep will dig into the back of your knees if you have short legs while a shallow one will only support your backside if you have long legs. On the other hand, a seat that is low from the ground will have your legs stretched over the footrest and will make it harder for you to stand up while a seat that is too high will leave your legs dangling in the air and you will have to jump on and out of the seat. If you have wide hips, you also need to check out the width of the seat for spaciousness.
A short footrest that does not extend will dig into the back of your ankles or have your legs dangling off its edge. The right footrest should support your feet without cramping your legs.
Finally, the weight and overall dimensions will determine the ease of movement and the size of space the recliner will occupy. CANMOV Power Lift Recliner Chair weighs 77 pounds while Ashley Furniture Signature Design Yandel Power Lift Recliner is almost double that weight at 139 pounds.
Models that do not have the wall saver mechanism found in Lane Home Furnishings Rocker Recliner require a larger footprint because they spread out in a reclined position. On the contrary, wall huggers which glide forward to recline save tons of space.
The material used to make the cover is an important consideration because it determines the durability of your recliner as well as the ease of cleaning and maintenance. This can save you money on frequent replacement. A soft and breathable cover will also stay fresh and keep you cool and dry.
Fabric and leather are the most common materials used in making recliner covers, with polyester being the most popular because it is durable and washable. Leather is stylish and low maintenance because it can be conveniently cleaned by simply wiping it. However, real leather is more expensive so most low-to-mid range models use faux leather made of PVC or polyurethane instead. For instance, the cover in WATERJOY Massage Recliner Chair with Heat and Vibrating is made of PU leather. If you are adamant about buying a leather recliner, we recommend you to check out a list of consistent variants.
Buying from a reputable seller or manufacturer is one of the best ways to get a decent warranty. Examine the length, scope and terms and conditions of the warranty before making a purchase for assurance in case your recliner turns out to be defective or malfunctions. Review the replacement and refund policy and the possibility of extending the coverage.
Beware of conditions that may void the warranty, such as treating the recliner’s upholstery with chemical.
- Filling: The type of filling used affects the firmness and comfort of the recliner. Foam is a popular padding material and some models like MAGIC UNION Power Lift Massage Recliner and Ashley Furniture Signature Design Yandel Power Lift Recliner feature seats reinforced by individually wrapped coils for extra support and firmness. So, if you are interested in the type of recliners filled with foam or just those with comfort in first place, which would be perfect for sleeping, then check out these recliners.
- Functions: This includes swiveling, gliding and rocking which calm and relax you and improve the recliner’s mobility. Fathers who babysit will appreciate the way the smooth and gentle movement lulls the baby to sleep. Power lifting raises you so you can ease out comfortably while whereas tilting leans the recliner forwards so you can get out of the seat in a standing position. Massage and heat therapy soothes sore muscles, relieves pressure points and improves blood circulation.
- Multi-level reclining: This provides you with multiple positions for the best comfort and support. Some can recline to a flat position and at 180 degrees. Setting a definite angle of your recliner is one of the greatest options, especially for people with back pains. If you are looking for a recliner with this specific feature you might be interested in the recliners for back pain.
- Pockets: They are becoming a permanent fixture on most recliners because they offer storage with convenient access to essential items.
- Number of motors: A recliner with different motors, such as Ashley Furniture Signature Design Yandel Power Lift Recliner, operates the backrest and footrest independently.
- Power source: Recliners powered by electricity or batteries can be easily operated by pressing buttons on a remote control or on the unit itself while those operated by a manual lever or handle take more effort and energy.
- USB charging: It allows you to charge your phone and other electronic devices without getting out of the seat.