Since you are looking for a pillow that serves a specific purpose, it makes sense that there are several different types that you should take into consideration before you make your final decision.
- Standard – This is the type of pillow that you have seen on pretty much every bed you have ever slept in. It has a higher middle area and sloping sides.
- Contour – Contour pillows slope up from the bottom of the pillow to the top. This allows you to get into a different position than a standard pillow, making it possible to alleviate your shoulder pain.
- Multi-level – A multi-level pillow doesn’t resemble a pillow at all. It looks more like a miniature sofa cushion and has tons of little nooks and crannies of support, which will give you a better chance at finding a position that works for you.
The size of the pillow that you select will vary widely based on the size of the sleeper and where support is needed. If, for instance, you are buying a pillow for a younger adult, then you won’t need as big of a pillow as you would for a larger person.
However, the size of the pillow should also be based on the amount of support that you need. If you get a pillow that props you up too much, then you might just cause a different type of pain. You need to be sure that you get the size of pillow that will work best for your particular situation.
Something else that will affect the type of pillow that you select is your sleep position. Research has shown that sleeping on your stomach is the worst way to sleep, as it puts your spine, neck, and shoulders out of proper alignment.
The best possible sleep position, especially for shoulder pain, is your back. This will allow you to position your shoulders near your pillow properly to get a restful and supportive night’s rest. If you do choose to sleep on your side, just be sure to place your shoulder out front a bit on your pillow that you aren’t using it to support your full weight.
Pillow fill materials
The materials that your pillow is made out of can make or break the amount of support you get at night. If you don’t get a pillow that was made with the best materials, that pillow won’t last too long.
- Memory foam – Pillows filled with memory foam are usually somewhat larger and thicker than others. This is because the foam condenses so much when you lay on it. This creates a cushion that contours to your body to provide optimal support.
- Latex – Latex is a material that is known to be highly durable. This makes it a good choice for pillows since you use them often. Latex pillows will also usually have a quilted cushioned layer to make them a bit softer to the touch.
Pillow cover materials
The material which you select to cover your pillow with is completely up to you! Since pillow covers are so thin, they will not offer any extra support, though certain materials are more hypoallergenic and durable than others. Cotton is by far the most common material, though bamboo-derived covers have been shown to last the longest.
Much like the mattress that you are sleeping on, you need to decide the firmness level that you require for your pillow. Since you are trying to get a pillow that is as supportive as possible, however, you should probably opt for one that has a bit of give to it. If you select a pillow that is too firm or too soft, then you won’t get the amount of support that you need to eliminate your shoulder pain.
The crushability of a pillow is how much it can be compressed without losing the ability to regain its shape. This has much to do with the type of materials that are used to make the pillow. Memory foam pillows have a high crushability factor and will regain their shape and offer the same amount of support for a very long time. Latex pillows will begin to lose their shape after several years and will need to be replaced.
Certification and safety
As we said earlier on, there are tons of pillows out there, and not all of them are created with the best materials or even the materials that they are purported to be made with. If you are someone that has allergies, or you are looking for a pillow for a child with shoulder issues, you want to be sure that the pillow you pick is up to the proper standards.
To do this, make sure that the pillow you select has some certification stating that it has been tested and certified. That will let you rest easy, since you’ll know for sure that the product you bought is safe.
Pillows are one of the most common products in everyone’s home, and are used daily. Due to this constant use, they tend to get dirty pretty regularly. That is why you need to be sure that the pillow and cover that you select can be washed easily. That will help to keep the pillow fresh and clean, which will help to give you a much more restful sleep.
Since pillows are used so often, it is not surprising that they break down over time. Some of the best pillows for shoulder pain are kind of expensive too. By selecting one that comes with a warranty, you are making sure that you will be able to replace your pillow and protect the money that you have already spent.