Is it good to jog with a stroller?
Ordinary baby strollers are ideally designed to move on smooth paved surfaces. Therefore, they are well suited for use when you are going to the mall or just taking a walk on a sidewalk. These strollers are versatile and practical for a regular parent. Such a stroller is slightly less bulky and offers plenty of storage space compared to the jogging stroller.
However, if you are no regular parent and you want to continue with your old active jogging schedule, then a jogging stroller is what you need. Such a stroller comes with large air-filled wheels. The tires and the stroller are designed to ensure that you can take the stroller to any terrain you can think of. Whether it is on a grass lawn, forest picnic, walks on a dirt road, and so on, the jogger stroller will serve you impeccably. The handlebar of this jogger stroller is ergonomically designed to allow you to run comfortably. The distance between the rear end of the stroller and your legs is ample, allowing you to take long strides. When you take an ordinary stroller, your legs will keep hitting the rear axle of the stroller.
With this stroller, your child will be comfortable, and you will burn more calories from pushing it than when jogging normally. Besides, these strollers come with protection from elements such as rain and dirt. You also won’t need a babysitter whenever you feel like going for a jog.
So, Yes, it is a good idea to jog with your jogging stroller as it has been specifically designed for the task. Your safety, together with that of your precious cargo, is guaranteed by the inclusion of an effective braking system. You will be able to stop the stroller whenever and wherever you want.
How to ensure your baby’s safety
A jogging stroller will fail in its fundamental purpose if the safety of the baby is not guaranteed. Makers of these strollers have invested heavily to ensure that your child stays safe whenever you venture out with them aboard the stroller. To ensure that your baby is safe, here are some basic things to follow;
- Ensure that your baby is no younger than 6 months of age. You will need to use a car seat adapter for a younger baby, which prevents the baby from getting bounced around too much.
- Use the 5-point, which most manufacturers have included, to secure the baby. Harnessing the baby helps prevent the baby from falling off the stroller. Always use the harness. It’s the stroller’s equivalent to a car’s safety belt.
- Protect your baby from the wind, dirt, or rain. It is naturally presumed that no parent can knowingly and willingly. expose their baby to harmful elements, but you should be well prepared for such an eventuality before stepping out. While you should expect to get warmer and sweaty when jogging, your baby won’t. So use the necessary clothes to protect them. Also, make use of the sun visor and windshield that come with a stroller.
- Lock the front wheel when you are jogging. Locking this wheel ensures that the stroller doesn’t turn suddenly, causing you and the stroller to crash.
- Don’t run near cars or busy streets. You will both be safer, and the baby will be more comfortable. Also, never try to run hands-free as the stroller can get out of your reach quickly. Always run at a speed that it will be easy and safe to brake and stop the stroller.
- Strollers will offer you sufficient storage space where you can pack your stuff and those of the baby. Some of the jogger strollers come with cup holders and trays. These storage features make the stroller practical and versatile.
- Invest in a stroller that bears a trusted brand name. A known brand that comes with a reliable and tested warranty means that your baby’s safety is assured. Buying a non-tested brand means you are taking a leap of faith as far as trusting your baby’s safety goes. This does not mean that new brands are not to be trusted but when it comes to your baby’s safety, going for a trusted and tested brand might be the safer route.
- Lastly, plan your jogs wisely. Try and schedule the runs when the baby is about to sleep. The jog will act more as a soothing activity. Jogging when the baby is hungry will definitely backfire on you.
Tips on jogging with stroller
There are many different types of strollers out there. Each type of stroller is designed and made, bearing in mind the needs of a particular parent category. It may therefore be a challenge to pick the perfect stroller given the many options available. On the other hand, selecting the strong type of stroller that doesn’t suit your lifestyle may prove to be a costly mistake. Therefore, you will need to know the right jogger stroller for you and, more importantly, how to use it properly. Here are some tips that will help you and your baby get the best outcome out of a stroller.
- A majority of strollers have been designed with bigger children in mind. Children younger than 6 months are not the ideal candidates as they cannot support their necks on their own. A 6-months or older child can crane their neck when you are outdoors and see the surroundings.
- Safety is something worth mentioning. You may feel that you don’t need reminding how your child’s safety is important but let’s face it, normal strollers with four wheels are not equipped for rough terrains or jogging. They can easily topple over. So avoid using one for your morning jogs.
- Jogging strollers will also come with a wrist strap that allows you to control its speed even when you are downhill. With this strap, the stroller will never go out of control. In the Thule Urban Glide 2, you will come across an integrated twisted handbrake, making it easy for you to stop the stroller. Many strollers also come with a lever that you can switch and lock the rear wheels.
- Before venturing out for a jog or stroll in the park, remember to equip the stroller with all the necessary requirements. Make sure the tires have enough pressure. Carry the pump just in case you might need it when out there.
- The baby should be dressed appropriately to fit the occasion and the weather. As stated before, you are expected to get tired and sweaty, and for this, you might want to wear light clothes. But for the baby, they are not doing anything, which means it will remain cold for them if the weather is cold.
- There are numerous compartments in a stroller where you can store baby items and your stuff. In the case of BOB Gear Revolution Flex 3.0 as is also the case with many quality jogging strollers, you will find enough storage to keep baby diapers, enough cup holders, and even a smartphone pocket.
- As a new parent that wants to keep up with your former agile physique, you will be excited to start jogging as soon as possible. For better outcomes, both for you and your baby, it is advisable that you establish a route beforehand. You don’t want to be crossing the road or to be interacting with cars along the highway. Choose a quiet route where there are no crowds and vehicles to ensure your baby’s comfort and safety.
- A jogging stroller is just like a bike that requires regular maintenance. Check the tires regularly and the general shape of the stroller after and before every use.
- Finally, to make the best use of your jogging stroller, check out the local races you can sign up in. Some medium distance races do allow strollers while some don’t. But remember to prepare well before venturing out for the race. Even if you don’t get to join races, your stroller is designed and well equipped to help you run everyday errands such as taking your child for a stroll, going to the mall, or going to the park for an afternoon picnic.
The ordinary stroller is not cheap. Given that it will only take you to the mall and on very smooth surfaces, one can conclude that the jogging strollers are more versatile and practical for the everyday parent. But we are not comparing the two types of strollers. If anything, the two can be said to serve very different and distinct functions.
Depending on what you want to do with your jogger, its price can be anything from fair to expensive. For a parent who already has a stroller and feels the need to invest in a jogger, such an item can be costly, especially if it isn’t compatible with a car seat adapter. The price of jogging strollers will rarely go above $1,000. For those looking for a premium package, the BOB Gear Alterrain stroller will not disappoint at a price shy of $600. The Thule Urban Glide 2, which costs more than $500, will also not disappoint given the many cool features it’s tweaked with. For a parent looking for a bargain, the Jeep Deluxe Patriot will do you justice. The stroller costs slightly more than $150 and will afford you all the jogging stroller benefits. For a parent with two babies, the Joovy Zoom X2 jogging stroller, which goes for less than $500, will serve you perfectly.
Features to consider while buying the best jogging stroller
Shopping for a good quality jogging stroller should not be a challenging task anymore. Besides looking at each of the above strollers deeply, we have further taken a look at what parents look or ought to look at whenever they think of buying a jogging stroller.
Some parents opt to buy a jogging stroller to use when they want to jog specifically. Some are of the opinion that a stroller is an expensive investment, leave alone jogging strollers. For this reason, they want to invest in a stroller that can serve as a double when they want to go to the mall and when they want to take a walk to the park or go for a jog. Depending on the stroller you pick, it is crucial that you know the exact features that such a stroller adorns.
Every parent wishes to keep their adorable babies safe. That being said, the manufacturers of jogging strollers must ensure that among the key features of their products, safety is prominent and guaranteed. Therefore, you will find that strollers such as Thule Urban Glide 2 and BOB Gear Alterrain Pro are equipped with competent brakes and handbrakes. This means that you will never fail to stop your stroller no matter where you are or the speed you are at.
Your safety and that of your baby has been further taken care of by manufacturers by ensuring that your stroller has a wrist strap that comes in handy when you are jogging or running. Such a strap also serves as a brake and control tool for your stroller. Some manufacturers have also ensured that the handlebar used on their stroller has ergonomic benefits, making it comfortable and safer for you. There is also a lever lock for the rear wheels, ensuring the stroller stays stationary when you are not holding the handlebar.
A stroller’s safety capability has further been guaranteed by the manufacturer when they indicate the maximum weight it can handle. With the Joovy Zoom X2, for example, the maximum weight of both your babies should be 100 pounds while the maximum height of each baby should be 43 inches. By following the user-instructions provided, your stroller will not have wobbly and squeaking wheels. You will also have full control of your stroller at all times.
The tires’ size and the wheels used on a stroller will determine the stroller’s capability to handle terrains and your morning runs. Unlike ordinary strollers, which are never expected to venture away from paved walkways, the jogging stroller is designed to be used on grass, dirt roads, and all manner of terrains.
A majority of jogging strollers are fitted with a 12-inch front tire and 16-inch rear tires. This makes it easy for you to steer the stroller and overcome rugged terrains. Some strollers like the Allen Sports Premier have all 16″ tires, but the Thule Urban Glide 2 and others have different sizes of tires for the front and the back. The wheels usually are air-filled, and some manufacturers such as Joovy Zoom 360 have included a hand pump.
The weight of your jogger will influence some of the activities you do with it. If it is too heavy, you might not be able to travel or put it in your car boot. A bulky and heavy stroller will make it impossible to lift and put in your average car boot, and this means you can only use the item around the house or neighborhood. Remember that a jogging stroller is what you need if you want to enter a running race where strollers are allowed. It is therefore important that you are able to travel with it.
More weight is not always a bad thing when it comes to jogging strollers. Some strollers such as the Baby Trend Expedition, which weighs 41 pounds, come with a car seat while the Baby Jogger City Select affords you a pram. In the case of the Graco Modes Jogger 2.0 stroller, you get a reversible baby seat, cup holders, and tray, among other features, for 33 pounds of weight. It is important that you determine your needs with regards to a jogging stroller before investing in one. There is a stroller to fit almost every other lifestyle.
Operating a jogging stroller should be straightforward. It should never be a technical affair where you must go for some orientation to operate it. However, you will need to read the user manual, which stipulates some of the important guidelines that the user must adhere to. You will find that some strollers come with an adjustable handlebar that can be operated using one hand, while some provide enough space for you to use both of your hands.
A jogging stroller is slightly different from your everyday stroller in that it comes with a single front wheel. This wheel is meant to ease maneuverability of the stroller, especially when you are running. The single front wheel helps prevent your stroller from toppling over. The large wheels further ensure that you can operate the stroller on almost any terrain. Moreover, the front wheel is lockable whenever you decide to jog or run. This feature ensures the wheel stays in a fixed position when it hits an obstacle hence avoiding veering off your intended path. With a brake and a handbrake feature, this stroller is very easy to operate even for a 100-pound parent.
The overall structure of a jogging stroller should be firm, safe, and durable. You don’t want to have a stroller that creaks or disintegrates every so often. The many components of your stroller should be made in such a way that they can withstand rigorous activity not only of your running but also the hyper-activeness of a child. Stainless steel is a popular frame material. It has been used to make the Graco Modes Jogger 2.0 and many others.
The canopy of the stroller is often made using UV-50 material, which is ideal for protecting your baby from elements. The other components to check out are the baby seats, which should be well padded and easy to clean. In the case of the Chicco TRE, the manufacturer has used sporty fabric that is very easy to clean. The peekaboo screen should be hardy and help at deflecting the sun rays. The type of tires installed on your stroller will help determine the type of ride you and your baby are going to have. To a great extent, the wheels determine the durability of your stroller. The rims are often made from steel, but there are those made from alloys. The tires can be rubber or air-filled. Just remember that air-filled tires mean you have to have easy access to a hand pump. The materials used on a stroller should be easy to clean. You don’t want a stroller that has unsightly spots all over just because the fabric is tough or impossible to clean.
You obviously don’t want to invest in something you aren’t sure it will see another month. Parents need reassurance from manufacturers of the reliability of the strollers they make. That is why strollers such as Baby Trend Expedition, Baby Jogger City Select, and Jeep Deluxe Patriot strollers are backed with six months, two years, and limited lifetime warranties, respectively. You no longer have to worry that there won’t be anyone to help you out if you find your stroller is defective. These warranties further bolster user confidence in the products made by such manufacturers.
One of the primary goals of investing in a jogging stroller is to ensure that your baby is as comfortable as possible. The baby seat should be designed to ensure the baby stays comfortable and if possible, doze off. Manufacturers have padded the seats to increase comfort. For better comfort, the seat of your stroller should recline and also sit straight to allow the baby to sleep or peek at the surroundings whenever they feel like. The seats should also be deep enough to accommodate the baby and reduce the risk of them falling over. Even though the 5-point harness secures the baby in the seat, a deeper seat serves to reassure the baby.
Other features meant to enhance baby’s comfort that manufacturers include in strollers are sunshades and reversible seats. Sunshades and visors are meant to protect the baby from elements such as direct sun rays and dirt. The reversible seat, as found in the Graco Modes Jogger 2.0 allows the parent to jog while facing the baby. If the baby is fussy, this seat will help them calm down.
Storage is a big factor to consider whenever you think of buying a jogging stroller. Even though the ordinary stroller comes with more space, a jogging stroller should come with reasonable storage to allow you to keep all the baby stuff and some of yours. The BOB Gear Alterrain Pro offers you six different storage compartments while the Revolution Flex 3.0 boasts of seven. The Graco Modes Jogger 2.0 stroller gives you a smartphone storage area.
Storage in a stroller is important because it allows you to organize your outdoor activities. You will not need to have a backpack full of diapers or towels. The storage of the stroller should be sufficient to store all of your necessities. Another thing to consider when buying your stroller is the ease of folding and unfolding it. You’ll find that most of the jogging strollers are bulky, but there are those that will fit in your normal sedan car boot. You will also need to factor in the storage space at your house. You don’t want to have a bulky stroller taking up all of your small patio space.
When you buy your stroller, it shouldn’t take you a whole day or week to set it up. The instruction manual should be easy to follow. Moreover, the folding and unfolding of the stroller should never be a tedious affair. You will even find some manufacturers making it possible for you to fold and unfold the stroller with one hand. The BOB Gear Alterrain Pro can be folded using a single hand. On the other hand, Baby Trend Expedition, which also comes with a car seat, has been armed with trigger fold feature, which makes it extremely easy for you when you want to fold the stroller. There are also those strollers like the BOB Gear Alterrain Pro stroller that come with removable wheels. This means you can carry a spare wheel in case one of the tires getting punctured.
When designing a jogging stroller, the manufacturer has to focus on its balance. This is because the user will be running with it, and it can easily overturn if it is not well balanced. If you were to run with an ordinary stroller, you might notice that the four wheels are not best suited to take corners at speed or ride on uneven surfaces. This is why jogging strollers’ makers usually use a single front wheel and two rear ones. This makes it easier to take corners. The large wheels are meant to help absorb all the road shocks and overcome possible obstacles along the way.
Another thing that contributes to the balance of the stroller is the handlebar. Some strollers come with handlebars that can be controlled using both hands while some only require a single hand. Moreover, a good jogger should come armed with a good suspension system that enables it to absorb the road shocks and remain stable. A balanced stroller translates to a happy, comfortable baby.
The extra features that a stroller boasts with can very well determine whether a parent will buy it or not. It is possible to make a decision on whether to pick one stroller over another based solely on whether one has a parent cup holder or not. These nifty features also help determine whether a stroller is worth investing in or not.
In the case of Thule Urban Glide 2, a parent with a fussy child might prefer it just because it comes with a peekaboo window. Some of the other cool features to consider are bottle holders, smartphone pockets, key holders and air pumps. You will also find some of these extra features like the air pump or bottle holders to be lifesavers. An air pump, for example, might seem a non-consequential item to consider but will help you come out of the bushes when you get a flat tire. It might therefore be a good idea to explore all the extra features a stroller has to offer before making your final choice on what stroller to go for.