- Always let people know that you will be using a ladder when working on your roof or cleaning your gutters
- Choose a safe and sturdy ladder, preferably a ladder with a shelf to help you carry the debris you collect. You can secure the bucket with a lanyard.
- Types of ladders- The type of ladder that you choose will also impact your job. A four-legged ladder is great for short structures such as a single-story block. An extension ladder, on the other hand, is great for two-story structures. Wooden and orchard ladders are not recommended since they are not stable enough.
- Use eye protection- You never know what might fly out of your gutter, which makes it important to protect your eyes. From wasps, bees, rats and even frogs, people have seen all sorts of things coming from their gutter.
- Clean the roof first- It is prudent to first wash off the roof before cleaning the gutter otherwise all the debris will fall in your clean gutter if you do it the other way round.
- Use rubber shoes- It is recommended that you use rubber shoes especially if you will be walking on your roof. This is because they prevent slip and fall injuries since rooftops are often moist in the morning.
Do regular cleaning- It is easy to forget or put off cleaning your gutter, which is why you need to schedule semi-annual cleaning. This makes it difficult for rust to occur. Ensure you clean your gutters once in the fall and once during spring.
- Mind power line hazards- This may seem obvious but can be quite fatal. Always carry out visual inspection of any electrical cables passing near your gutter and ensure no wire insulation is worn off before cleaning.
Price of the gutter tool is a key consideration depending on your needs and preferences. Of course, you will have to fork out a lot more if you are a professional looking for the best product in the market. However, if you are simply buying a gutter cleaning tool for home use, you can choose an affordable tool with all your preferred features.
What you will need for a high-quality gutter cleaning
There are a couple of features that you should consider when looking for a high-quality gutter cleaning tool. Here are some of the features.
Gutter cleaning robot: yes or no?
Yes, you heard us right. There are gutter cleaning robots such as the iRobot Looj 330. Why should you choose a cleaning robot? Simple, they make the cleaning process both easy and enjoyable. All you have to do is place the tool on your gutter and use a remote control that you can comfortably hold on your hands and control the robot as you stand on the ground. Although you will have to spend a little bit more to get a robot gutter cleaning tool, it probably cost less than paying a pro and will get the job done.
This is important if a majority of the debris and dirt. You may have to purchase some vacuum accessories such as a leaf blower of a shop vac and attach some extensions and curved parts to the end. This will also eliminate the need for a ladder while blowing some hurricane type winds over the dry debris. It may not be sufficient for winter months but it can definitely help you during spring and fall. One such accessory is the WORX WA4090 Gutter Cleaning Kit that can be attached to cordless electric leaf blowers.
Power washer accessories
In other instances, cleaning your gutter may only be possible by releasing a stream of high-pressure water to flush out all the debris. However, you should be ready to wash or even rake the area surrounding your gutter since the high-velocity water will throw the debris in all direction. Another benefit of using power washing is that it allows you to use your telescoping wand on other areas of your house such as windows, sidewalks or driveways.
What should you have in a cleaning kit?
A lot of the reviewed gutter cleaning tools will not need a ladder but some do. Make sure you have a high-quality, stable and reliable extension ladder that you can depend on to do some cleaning for hours. Some products such as the DOCAZOO DocaPole or the B E Pressure 85.206.424L can extend to 24 feet and will not need a ladder. Using a robot gutter cleaning tool will also need a ladder unless you plan on using a drone to place the tool in the gutter.
These are a great tool to help keep off debris from your gutters while also allowing you to pass a stream of water if you need to clean. Although a lot of debris will be kept off when using a gutter guard, it is still recommended to clean your gutters twice a year. This is because the gaps in the gutter guards increase and eventually create a clog. However, these sweet little tools can prevent the accumulation of debris in your gutters.
A telescoping lance belt is also an important tool when you are using an extended telescoping wand. Most products tend to become heavy and difficult to handle once extended to maximum length. This belt can help you handle the long lance and clean your gutters for hours without feeling fatigued. The AR North America Telescoping Lance can be used with a telescoping lance belt although it is sold separately.
A warranty not only improves the credibility of the seller but also gives the buyer confidence when purchasing an item. It can come in quite handy if a client is not satisfied with a product or if a product is broken during transportation/storage. The iRobot Looj 330 and the BE Pressure 85.206.424Lboth come with a 1 year limited warranty.
Gutter cleaning helpful tips
Use the right tools – While a garden trowel works just fine, a better tool to use is a gutter scoop. The latter has a front scraping edge and is exactly the right shape for gutters. With the right tools, the cleaning process gets easier.
Always use gloves – Thick not only protect your hands from dirt but also from cuts. Gloves will protect you from any sharp objects that you may encounter in your gutters.
Use your pressure washer well – pressure washers are a great way to remove any junk out of your gutters. However, it is important to use it properly since using directing high-pressure steam at a high angle can easily blow your shingles.
Clean your downspouts too – It is important to first remove any dry leaves or debris before you put in a pressure washer. If your gutter is clogged by debris and leaves, it won’t be drained properly and you may end up with sagging gutters. This makes it important to first remove the dirt before applying steam pressure.