Why do you need a projector to play your favorite video games?
- A gaming projector is capable of heightening a basic gaming experience several notches higher. In a compact room, you can enjoy a huge 100-200-inch HD graphics at a reasonable price.
- The internal speakers provide surround sound. The DarbeeVision enhancement offers rich realistic graphics and doesn’t strain the eyes even after gaming for long hours.
- They also consume 50% less energy compared to other gaming gadgets. They support multimedia and are available both in wired and wireless connection.
- These lightweight gaming projectors are incredibly durable and portable too. Their maintenance and set-up is completely hassle-free. Some gaming projectors come with warranty periods and handy bags for storage and portability convenience.
Features to consider before buying a gaming projectoro
We have stated below a line-up of key features that can come in handy when deciding on buying the best gaming projector capable of meeting all your unique requirements.
There are several types of display technology, among them are DLP (Digital Light Processing), LCD (Liquid Crystal Display), and LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicone). LCoS is built to project phenomenal images, but it’s a very heavy type of projector and also costs a lot.
DLP projectors (such as the Optoma GT1080Darbee) contain small mirrors and a color wheel for brighter images and less blur thanks to the low lag time. However, black is usually not that bright as seen in LCD models.
Unlike DLP models, LCD projectors (for example, EUG LCD LED Multimedia HD Video Projector) don’t have any moving parts. LCD makes use of high-intensity light beam for more vivid black images and better contrast. The rainbow effect is usually not seen in this type of projectors.
In terms of display, you might also want to consider looking for a 3D projector for gaming, as these will make the experience incredibly vivid.
Brightness, contrast, resolution
A projector’s brightness is calculated in lumens. The higher the lumen, about 5000 lumens and above, it denotes that the projector can be used in well-lit big rooms & outdoors. If it’s only 1000 lumens or lower, then the projector is suitable for dark compact rooms and offices.
The contrast helps in differentiating among dark and bright portions of an image. Video quality is better when the contrast ratio is higher. Along with contrast it is necessary to also consider the room’s lighting, screen’s quality, and various other factors.
To play games or watch movies, a projector with minimum 1920 x 1080 pixels of resolution power is a must. The lower resolution projectors with 800 x 600 pixels of resolution power are cheaper and good for a smaller-sized image projection. The projector with the best resolution on our list is the BenQ TK800
with its 4K 3840 x 2160 pixels.
Keystone correction can be done either manually or digitally. To correct the keystone manually, the user needs to adjust the projector’s lens at a higher or lower angle. The manual method’s drawback is that it can’t correct horizontal keystone.
Throw ratio and distance
For gaming, short throw projectors and ultra-short throw projectors are most suitable. They are excellent for educational, office and entertainment usage as well. Basically, a short throw projector’s lenses are designed to project a big image even when placed close to the screen. Optoma GT1080Darbee is an excellent example of short throw projector having a 0.49 throw ratio. It can project a huge 100-inch image just from a 3.5-feet distance.
When buying a screen for your projector, keep in mind that it will fit in your desired room. Screen sizes available on the market range from 50-300 inches (diagonal measurement) and even bigger. The main point to know here is the screen size has to match with the projector’s aspect ratio.
Warranty and bulb lifetime
It is highly critical to look into the warranty period of the gaming projector. It provides an assurance from the manufacturer that the projector is of excellent quality and will definitely last for an extended period of time. Some projectors come with a one-year warranty, some with two. Only a few projectors come with three years of warranty period, and Vankyo Leisure 3 is one such gaming projector.
For all those looking to play games using the projector or use it as home theatre ought to check the bulb’s lifespan. Certain manufacturers offer bulb lifetime of 2500-3000 hours.
Go with the projector having maximum bulb lifetime as even a tad dimming of the bulb’s brightness will result in a poor quality image, needing a replacement. Bulbs are expensive so replacing them with a new one is a costly affair.
Along with the above-mentioned vital features, it is necessary to look into several other elements such as connectivity, weight, projector dimensions, heat dissipation, etc. As for connectivity features, HDMI ports, USB ports, Bluetooth wireless connection, and multimedia support all come in handy especially if you’re an avid gamer. A lightweight projector makes is very easy to handle, store, and carry outdoors. Moreover, to ensure the projector you purchase doesn’t heat up, choose the device with advanced heat dissipation technology.
Tips on how to make your gaming experience unforgettable
- For gaming, projectors with short and ultra-short throw are the most suitable. Basically, a short throw projector’s lenses are designed to project a big image even when placed close to the screen.
- When buying a screen for your projector, keep in mind that it will fit in your desired room. The main point to know here is the screen size has to match with the projector’s aspect ratio.
- The sound level varies in different brands of projectors. Some projectors like BenQ TK800 have powerful inbuilt internal speakers offering loud sound. Therefore, there is no need to buy external speakers. However, if you feel that your gaming should be accompanied by more powerful sound, get external speakers with 3D effect.
- To enjoy gaming with the best gaming graphics, go with the Optoma GT1080Darbee as its DarbeeVision Enhancement is simply If your projector doesn’t offer that much of a contrast, be sure to draw the curtains to make the room as dark as possible.