Features to consider while choosing an elliptical under 200
Although not exhaustive, here are some of the most important features or criteria to consider while choosing an elliptical bike, especially when you’ve decided for budget-friendly models and not a mid-ranged price tag, as it is with the ellipticals under 700, f.i.:
Not everyone who uses an elliptical does it for the same purpose. Some only want it to reinforce their physical condition or as part of a rehabilitation process. Meanwhile, others require another type of elliptical because they seek more intensive training. There are various types of elliptical bikes: the central-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, and the front-wheel drive.
- The rear-drive ellipticals: provide more inertia, making the ride smoother and more comfortable for those who use it. These types of ellipticals require less maintenance because they have fewer moving parts.
- The front-wheel-drive ellipticals: On the other hand, the front-wheel-drive elliptical, has the steering wheel in the front. It is an elliptical for those who have a longer stride.
- Center-wheel drive types: Finally, the central traction ellipticals are smaller than the previous ones and leave the body in a natural position. A good elliptical cross trainer should be robust, easy to use, and should allow you to assume the natural movement as if you were running.
You can find an average of 8-12 resistance levels in ellipticals. However, some rare models such as the Exerpeutic 900E EXERWORK have as much as 14 levels. Standard ellipticals, however, can have up to 20 levels.
Meanwhile, you should know that the more the resistance level, the more you’ll find it difficult to pedal. Therefore you’ll have to expend more energy.
You can find ellipticals with electromagnetic resistance and mechanical resistance. Although the former is more recommended because they require less maintenance and repairs, as well as being quieter. This type of system is usually found on ellipticals of high and mid-price range.
Firstly, the more sturdy and heavy-duty the construction is, the more it will be able to support more weights. A model with the right weight capacity must be able to support at least 250lbs, as ANCHEER Mini Elliptical Machine Indoor does, which is actually considered to be the top model for office use among the best ellepticals. However, always ensure you know the weight capacity at heart after purchase. For example, if the machine is made of plastic, then it may be vulnerable to breakdowns when the weight capacity is exceeded.
Some elliptical are designed with and without an LCD display. However, this is necessary for the tracking of your pulse, training time and speed, and calories burned. The amount of information your machine shows you on its console must be complete for you to analyze your results and increase your performance. So it is ideal that you get a bike with a console or LCD screen that can provide different results, as well as training schedules.
Dimensions and weight
In addition to the space it can occupy, it is important to consider the users’ height.
When you get on the elliptical, you will be at a higher height than when you get on a treadmill, so calculate well. Ensure that you have enough space to get on and off the elliptical safely.
If the elliptical is going to be used by very different people in height and weight, it will be difficult to find one that suits everyone.
Some other extra features to watch out for include:
- Ergonomics: As for the handles, ensure that they are ergonomically designed. This is in the sense of being able to assume a suitable position when using them. Much of your upper body exercise on an elliptical is tied to a good grip. Also, the pedals should not be so far apart, hence, leaving you uncomfortable while using them.
- Adjustable inclination: Some ellipticals allow you to set a degree of inclination; This is very useful when you want to have a resistance to face certain tests with different types of terrains. Being able to change the inclination can also make using the elliptical less monotonous and focus the effort on another muscle group. Depending on the model purchased, this setting can be manual or automatic when choosing a certain training program.
- Smooth elliptical movement: Even though they are designed to make a muscular effort, the movement of the pedals and the arm levers must be smooth. The greatest advantage of an elliptical is that it simulates the movement of walking or running, but without the impact that the body receives each time the foot touches the ground. Look for an elliptical, such as Fast88, that has movement in two directions (forward and backward). The more the inertia wheel weighs, the more the movement tends to be more fluid and comfortable.
- Adjustable height: This feature is important as users may need to adjust the machine to their height.
- Heart rate monitor and other measurements: Not all ellipticals have pulse sensors, but a great majority do. In the same way, these types of ellipticals can measure, in addition to the heart rate, other measurements such as speed, muscle mass, distance, calories burned, etc. A typical example is the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-E905 elliptical.
How much does an elliptical bike cost? There is a wide range of prices, just like any other appliance. Some of the extra features you can find are the ability to define custom training programs, connections for devices such as MP3, iPad, internet connection, fan, integrated speakers, etc. All of these will influence the final price. While some models can get close or over the one thousand line, there are under 200 models which will suit the minimalist. So evaluate according to your tastes and budget whether or not you want this type of functionality on your elliptical, if not the best elliptical under 1500 is always there for you with all the advanced features you might dream of.
A high-quality elliptical should be able to last for 10 to 20 years. But that doesn’t mean you should ignore the warranty status of the model. Depending on the brand, model and price range, an elliptical trainer may offer you a lifetime warranty on the brake and frame. These are usually the most durable parts. And for the other parts, some may offer you between 3 to 10 years. For in-house labor, some models may come with 1 to 2 years. If you would like a model with adequate warranty cover, take a look at the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-E905 and ANCHEER Mini ellipticals.