Advantages of a down pillow: why buy one?
There are many advantages to selecting a down pillow which make them one of the more popular pillow type choices for buying, including:
- Down is a more luxurious filling type
- They are softer than other pillow types
- Down fillings give users the impression of floating on a cloud
- They are more suitable for allergy sufferers
- Their makeup is hypoallergenic
- Down pillows encourage a fluffier feel
- They fluff back into position immediately
- Down pillow types perform well for many years
Down pillow features you need to consider
When it comes to selecting the best down pillow for your individual needs, there are several features you should aim to look for. These include the exact type of filling material used, the power of the fill, the weight of the fill, the firmness of the pillow, whether it has a good cover included and what sizes are available to select from. Additionally, it’s also worth taking into consideration the price of such pillow types, as they are usually priced higher than the standard pillows due to the sensitive and delicate materials used.
When you search for down pillows, you’ll probably notice some will tell you they have a 100% down filling material – while others just say down. It’s important to look at the ratio of those that can’t claim full 100% down in their filling makeup. This is because many down pillows offer a mixture of down and feather, therefore giving a ratio of both in the filling material section. The most common of ratios here are 95%, 75%, and 50%. For example, a down filled pillow claiming a 50% ratio will, therefore, have 50% down filling with 50% of a feather filling which should be equally highlighted.
Though mixed fillings are common and indeed popular choices, it’s worth remembering that they won’t be as soft as the full down pillows.
Look for those that have 100% in their title, such as the Continental Bedding and the East Coast Bedding pillows, which claim to be completely 100% down pillows.
The fill power of a down pillow refers to its durability, as well as its overall ability to hold its shape with time. Therefore, if you look at those pillows here with a fill power of 700 and higher, you’ll ensure you aim for the better quality of down pillow because they can retain their more pronounced shape for longer lengths of time.
However, the most common fill power for a down pillow is, as a guide, around the 500 mark – as this is most common in those medium down pillows.
As you can see from our reviews, all these down pillows are over the 500 fill power level, with the Egyptian Bedding Goose Down Pillow offering an astounding 750 total fill power.
The filling weight present in your down pillow will determine how soft or firm your pillow feels when you’re lying upon it. Those who prefer a more delicate pillow type should look for a low filling weight here, such as the eLuxurySupply Extra Soft Down Filled Pillow at a mere 12 ounces, while those who like a fuller pillow type would be best suited to the Egyptian Bedding Goose Down Pillow at 50 ounces.
The firmness of a down pillow is similar to any other pillow type and ranges from soft, medium, medium firm, to firm. Your usual sleeping position should determine what down pillow firmness is best for you:
- Soft – Ideal for stomach sleepers
- Medium – Good for those combination sleepers
- Medium Firm – Great for back sleepers
- Firm – Ideal for side sleepers
All good down pillows require a quality cover that will work to ensure the filling, and any feathers present in your pillow do not poke through as you sleep over time. They also work to encourage your pillows filling room to breathe, therefore creating a healthier sleeping surface and environment. All down pillows on his list come complete with high quality and a robust cover as standard.
Nearly all commendable down pillows will offer a selection of sizes, and these reviewed pillows here are no different. You need to ensure that you buy a size to suit not just your preferences but also your bed and mattress type/size. It’s also an important decision here as the size of your selected pillow will guide you when choosing any extra pillowcases to fit it. Most down pillows come in a wide range of sizes including the usual King, Queen, and Standard.
Tips on how to clean and maintain a down pillow
There are many tips you can utilize when it comes to both cleaning and maintaining your down pillows:
- Place you down pillows in the washer. One of the best things about down pillow types is that they can be machine washed and, what’s more, they perform really well when cleaned this way!
- Experts suggest placing two pillows in your machine at the one-time to ensure a balanced load during the cycle.
- Put your down pillow through the dryer. Aim to do this at least once every month, ensuring they’re encased in protective zipper covers. This once again serves as another excellent method of fluffing.
- Look after the fluff. Fluffing up your down pillows every morning encourages them to breathe readily throughout the day. This, in turn, keeps them feeling light and feathery.
- Air your down pillows regularly. Natural heat and light work wonders for this pillow type as it dries out any moisture present and gives them a pleasant clean and natural smell. Be sure to fluff them regularly and turn them occasionally when airing in this way for added fluff boost.
It goes without saying that if you choose to purchase a down pillow, you will expect to have to pay more than what you would for a standard pillow type. This is simply because the fillings used in a down pillow are far more exquisite and luxurious than common pillow types and therefore cost more to produce. However, if it’s a luxurious, durable, and comfortable sleeping solution you’re after, the amazing features a down pillow offers are certainly worth paying more to achieve.
We’ve made sure to include a budget pick here in the Egyptian Bedding Goose Down Pillow, which comes in just under the $50 price mark. However, we do suggest being open to paying up to around the $200 mark for a good quality down pillow.